Thursday, November 20, 2008

Fall in Downstate New York, Fantasies

November 20, 2008

In my mind , the crisp, not-too-cold yet, so enjoy it all you can while it lasts fall weather, throws up among other images, the scene at Rockefeller Center in the city. Though this year Christmas preparations seem to have started sooner than usual (to counter the cheerlessness brought about by the economy?) the Christmas tree and the opening of the ice skating rink at the Center are still a week away.

Like many other lives, my life too is made of many fulfilled and many not-yet-realized dreams even though some of it has been a total surprise. This some of it has been beyond my wildest dreams, yet there is one dream (probably unrealizable) I have left. Being a fairly realistic person, I don't fantasize much, but one fantasy I do have is to be able to skate at Rockefeller Center.

A friend of mine, a polio victim, made of a different ilk than mine, who can barely walk without support, dared to learn ice skating as an adult. I marveled at this even as I could relate to the pain he experienced every time he fell on the rink which were numerous times as reported by him. I'm not sure if he ever mastered this skill. He still enjoyed the experience because this is who he is. Nothing deters him from doing what he wants to do.

Me, on the other hand, bold as I am, I still detest physical pain. There is no way I can learn to skate without falling numerous times, so I'll have to be content just with watching others sail across on that icy sheet of wonder. Yes, many of the skaters do fall but they probably don't mind.

This is the flaw I have. Unless I can do something fairly remarkably well, I refuse to even try. This is why most things I do even now began for me when I was very young.

Yes, it'd be wonderful to turn the clock back and start all over again. Relive most of my life, delete a few things and add a few others like ice skating.

Ciao!
Ro.

No comments: