Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Racism, Movies, Nicole Beharie, India has got talent

Last night I went to see "American Violet," a powerful docu-drama on racism set in early 2000 (think election), in Melody (original name of place: Hearne), Texas. The main character's name was Dee Roberts (real-life persons' name: Regina Kelly) portrayed by the beautiful actress, Nicole Beharie (http://womenandhollywood.com/2009/04/17/interview-with-nicole-beharie-star-of-american-violet/comment-page-1/#comment-4336. I hope the movie gets to be seen by people in the millions. What a shame so many dud-movies are blockbusters while meaningful movies like "American Violet" could languish. I hope not. It's directed by Tim Disney (Walt Disney's grandnephew)

A moving e-mail landed in my inbox. Here it's (if you understand Hindi, you'll appreciate it more): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq_NoGhvnsM. I was blown away by it mainly because of the background of the participants and of course the quality of their work. All the pettiness in the world evaporated in one stroke at the end of this video.

I don't want to post so infrequently. So even if it's just a few lines and nothing too profound, I plan to post more regularly.

Ciao.
Ro.

No comments: